Expressions of Interest – 2023
Stage Queensland and PAC Australia with support from Arts Queensland, are seeking Expressions of Interest from Queensland producers and presenters for a limited number of professional development and mentoring opportunities in the lead up to the Australian Performing Arts Exchange (APAX) 2023 in Cairns from 28 Aug – 1 Sept.
The Program, to be delivered across August to September 2023, is aimed at producers/artists and presenters who have limited experience attending or pitching at an arts market and wish to engage effectively. It is designed to support producers and presenters to maximise success at future arts markets and support a vibrant state and national touring sector.
There are two distinct mentorship streams – one for Producers/Artists, the other for Presenters. Both streams will offer an initial online group information session and subsequent small group and one-on-one mentoring meetings before, during and after APAX where participants will be mentored by those with years of relevant arts market / industry expertise.
- For producers/artists, the program is designed to support skills development in the following areas: developing work for touring; being tour-ready; identifying presentation partners / venues; identifying suitable arts markets and strategies for success; promoting and pitching your work to presenters; building and maintaining networks. Note, producers/artists do not need to have current work available for touring.
- For presenters (venues / community / festivals), the program is designed to: introduce you to a range of diverse touring work; build skills in programming for your community and how to effectively engage with arts markets; broker relationships with producers and presenters for long-term planning and creation of touring circuits; and understand the range of touring mechanisms available and what’s expected of you as a presenter.
The Arts Market Mentoring Program aligns with Stage Queensland’s strategic objectives – to develop skilled industry professionals and provide appropriate professional development opportunities.
Who are the Mentors?
Stage Queensland and PAC Australia have invited several of Australia’s most experienced producers and presenters to support participants. If you have any suggestions for someone ideal for your work/genre, please let us know.
What is APAX?
APAX (the Australian Performing Arts Exchange) is the annual national market and professional development gathering of more than 450 performing arts workers to develop tours and cultivate the
relationships that deliver presentation outcomes for audiences and communities across Australia.
Alongside a range of pitching, showcasing and networking opportunities, APAX supports the professional development of delegates, showcases sector innovation and best practice and supports industry renewal through knowledge exchange.
In 2023, APAX will be delivered in two parts:
- The Arts Market: Monday 28 August evening to Wednesday 30 August, plus an online Advance Pitching Session on Thursday 17 August at 1pm AEST
- Conference: Thursday 31 August – Friday 1 September
What is expected from participants?
Participants will need to:
- Register for and attend APAX in Cairns in-person to gain first-hand experience of this national arts market and put into practice the learnings acquired through the Mentoring Program. At a minimum, participants must attend the Arts Market days (28 – 30 August) but are encouraged to register for the whole event if possible.
- PAC Australia is offering Mentorship program participants a 15% discount off the registration price (booking discount code required).
- PAC Australia has a limited number of travel bursaries available to assist participants with travel costs to attend APAX. Recipients will be selected by PAC Australia and Stage Queensland with independent, unwaged producers, and remotely located presenters being prioritised. This bursary does not include the cost of APAX registration.
- Attend and participate in the Mentoring Program, including one online group session in August plus three additional meetings or interactions with mentors across August / September.
- Attend additional opportunities during APAX such as the First-Timers Session from 11am – 12pm, Tuesday 29 August and other networking events, where relevant.
- Display a readiness to talk about current and future artistic projects / aspirations.
If you would like to participate in this program, please complete the following EOI and submit to Suzan Williams at Stage Queensland by
Monday 7th August 2023.
Suzan Williams, Stage Queensland Inc
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0413 929 417
This program is supported by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland