DIRECTOR, Queensland Touring and Engagement Services
Basis of Employment:
Director, Queensland Touring and Engagement Services
Full time (37.5 hours/week)
Contract period is inclusive of 4 weeks annual leave
Queensland – office based in Brisbane, flexible work arrangements
Stage Queensland’s Management Committee
Tour Brokers, Marketing and Communications Coordinator, Finance Officer
Contract (3-year term aligned with funding)
>$100,000 + 11% Superannuation
About Stage Queensland
Stage Queensland is a leading membership organisation for the Queensland performing arts industry. Member organisations include professionally-managed performing arts centres in metropolitan and regional Queensland, schools with theatres, and Queensland’s major producing companies.
Stage Queensland’s role is one of member support and advocacy with key stakeholders within Queensland and nationally. Core activities include delivering a suite of annual conferences to connect the industry and build capacity, and industry development initiatives such as Tech Connect QLD, to sustain and grow the performing arts industry in Queensland.
Stage Queensland is a well-respected, non-profit organisation supporting and delivering for members and beyond since 1983. From 2023-2026, Stage Queensland will deliver a refreshed model of state-wide touring and engagement services supported by investment of $1.3 million over three years from the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland.
About the role – Director, Queensland Touring and Engagement Services
The Director role will lead Queensland Touring and Engagement Services to shape and support a re-energised, sustainable, and well-connected Queensland performing arts industry. The ideal candidate will possess a drive and passion for the performing arts and the ability to initiate and deliver strategic touring and engagement outcomes driven by the needs of diverse stakeholders and communities across the state.
The role requires an industry connected leader with outstanding communication skills and the ability to develop relationships between performing arts presenters, makers and audiences. The Director will be a strategic thinker with a thorough and effective understanding of the performing arts in Queensland and nationally.
The Director will be passionate about touring and supporting First Nations work, investing and supporting skills development across the sector, supporting emerging artists, stimulating new ideas and embracing innovative creative practice. They will share the success stories of touring companies and artists and celebrate the transformation and engagement of regional communities.
The role will work closely with Stage Queensland’s Management Committee and staff, and Arts Queensland to build Queensland Touring and Engagement Services from the ground up including establishment of an office and recruitment of additional staff (identified positions) within the first 6-12 months and creation of the touring services brand.
The role will suit a person who is driven by the desire to find solutions, is committed to developing effective operational procedures, is forward-thinking and is comfortable working autonomously on concurrent tasks. An objective of the role is to explore and deliver opportunities that build financial sustainability by managing resources effectively and the generation of additional income through multiple revenue streams.
The Director will have exceptional organisational skills, be an industry leader, want to work in a flexible, friendly environment, and believe they have the ability to lead change and make a difference in the performing arts touring industry.
Summary of Purpose
The Director, Queensland Touring and Engagement Services will:
- Have a commitment to the vision and goals of Queensland Touring and Engagement Services co-designed by Stage Queensland and Arts Queensland
- Oversee and direct the Queensland Touring and Engagement Services operations
- Champion Queensland touring, producers and work
Key areas of responsibility
- Strategic direction
- Stakeholder management
- Team leadership
- Financial/Risk management
- Project management
- Develop and implement Touring Service Strategy and Business Plans
- Develop strategic partnerships across Queensland
- Stakeholder management
- Develop and manage creative partnerships and projects
- Develop new presenter networks and support membership
- Drive innovation and technology
- Drive philanthropy, fundraising, sponsorship and the diversification of income streams
- Drive and monitor KPIs as set by Arts Queensland and agreed
- Design and oversee sector skills development and training programs
- Manage tour brokers and the development of touring circuits
- Manage the delivery of Showcase and other key events
- Promote Queensland producers and projects in national forums
- Manage people – recruitment, retention, performance management and career development
- Model a safe and environmentally friendly organizational culture
- Keep well-informed of current developments in the performing arts industry state-wide and nationally
- Oversee financial management including development of the annual budget, oversight of bookkeeping, cash flow management, and financial reporting to the Management Committee and Arts Queensland in a timely manner for meetings in line with the financial policy
- Ensure that functional areas of administration and finance (including office administration, human resources, policy development, systems and procedures, internal communications, and insurance) operate efficiently and effectively
- Ensure Arts Queensland reporting and funding acquittal milestones are satisfactorily completed
Key Selection Criteria
- A minimum of 5 years experience in a similar leadership role, preferably within the performing arts touring sector.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding and experience of the performing arts sector in Queensland and nationally including knowledge of current issues and opportunities for touring and enagement.
- An experienced and passionate advocate, able to influence and engage with a variety of stakeholders to promote and champion Queensland touring, producers and their work.
- Outstanding track record designing and delivering innovative projects that engage diverse communities.
- Demonstrated strategic leadership and experience in developing and executing vision and strategy.
- Experience in financial oversight and management to ensure short term financial goals and long-term sustainability.
- The ability to communicate clearly and authentically to deliver the Touring Services message and engage with all stakeholders.
To reflect the diversity of the communities and people with whom we engage, we seek to hire a workforce that is both representative and diverse. With a focus on inclusion, accessibility, and flexibility, we are committed to supporting you in your career with Stage Queensland.
Please submit your current resume and a cover letter of not more than 2 pages, addressing the selection criteria, to Stephen Foster, President Stage Queensland by email: [email protected]
Please include “Att: Stage Qld – Application for the role of Director, Touring Services” in the email subject header.
Applications are due by 11.59pm on Monday 18 September 2023
For more information or to discuss the position, enquiries can be directed to Suzan Williams, Executive Officer, Stage Queensland by emailing [email protected] or to Stephen Foster, President Stage Queensland by emailing [email protected]